6.04.2011

My very favourite brunch in NY - Normas

Yes, this is the place I would recommend brunching in the big apple.  It's a bit swanky set in Le Parker Meridian Hotel but the goodies here are way too amazing to pass up and you can't expect to eat cheaply when you're in NYC. And where dapper Nate from the sexy show Gossip Girl meets his newest love interest Juliette. 

Here are some things to note:
There will be a smoothie of the day shot as an amuse bouche waiting for you at your table.  Ours was strawberry banana and it was a nice way to start off our brunch experience.  There is bottomless freshly squeezed orange juice which is so good for your vitamin C intake but beware it's not free - $9.  I definitely went a little overboard on this and needed to stop almost every block to relieve myself to my poor friend's dismay.  Thanks Jen for your patience and friendship xo!
They serve mediocre coffee.  I wasn't impressed with the coffee here but there are worst things they could do wrong.
Please ensure you have a reservation if you don't want to wait until you're so hungry you'll eat your arm
Also be prepared to wait for food. If you go alone, bring a book. If you go with friends, bring ones that you actually like, and will talk to.  I was happily catching up with my girl Jen and so time just floated by and we hardly noticed our hunger.
The presentation of the plates are loaded with creativity and vibrant colour.  Definitely a fun place to food spot because the menu is so large that you would have to go back again to try another decadent item. 
Speaking of the menu - it's huge and there are some really delectable and mouth watering goods.  All of the dishes sound really fun and inventive. The most outragous choice, however, is the “Zillion Dollar Lobster Frittata,” at a $1000 price point with 10 ounces of Sevruga Caviar! That's a whole lot and after my last caviar experience, i prefer it in tiny doses.
OK so here's what I ordered.  It was the foie gras  french toast - it sounded like an incredibly appetizing option HOWEVER for you foodies out there- reconsider!!
The presentation is gorgeous though as the towering, 3 inches of brioche with colourful peppers come up with a heavy glaze and four generously sized pieces of foie gras on top of it.
This dish is ultimately an exercise in pure excess. After a few bites and attempts to eat more, it becomes such a heavy drain on your system and I begin to feel weighted down.  Even though I think I've put a good dent in the dish, it towers over  you and you start to feel a bit guilty about leaving all that decadence behind.  You then also start to realize why some wise person once said, "There IS such thing as too much of a good thing."  I couldn't finish even half of it.  I had 2 of the 4 foies and had to leave it behind.
Jen ordered the signature Norma's Benedict - 2 poached eggs with asparagus and heavenly Hollandaise all served over sand dollar pancakes.   She finished it and it was an idea brunch option - not too heavy and perfectly done.  However it wasn't the most creative thing on the menu, I think she made a good call.
I would go back again and again as there are endless options and classic favourites to choose from and it would be one of my favourite New York moments!!
**** 1/2 stars
Le Parker Meridien
119 W 56th St
New York, NY 10019
Neighborhood: Midtown West
(212) 708-7460
www.normasnyc.com/eat1.php

No comments:

Post a Comment