2.26.2011

the '411' on 416Snackbar

Taking over the former space of Johny Bananas on Queen and Bathurst is 416 Snackbar.  It is exactly what it's name describes itself; Snacking place and drinking bar.  The menu is very small, as are the portions which are 'snack sizes'. My problem is I came here for dinner and was ravenous which was my first mistake.
It's the kind of place you drop into for drinks and to socialize and definitely after you have already eaten dinner, and want a few nibbles, this is the place to be. And it was busy!  We shared a communal table with another group and traffic just kept coming in and it was a school night!


I order a couple of "snacks" to share with my sister who was the smart one and wasn't too hungry.  We share the P.E.I. oysters ($7 for three) . They are juicy and plump, and came served with Mignonette sauce and freshly grated horseradish.
We also tried the Chinatown cold roll ($3) which is like a Vietnamese salad roll and there's only one serving of it so we split it in half and it's full of fresh veggies and it was good. 
Our final dish was the crispy latkas ($6) topped with tender and smoky gravlax.  There were 2 mini latkas that came out on the plate and I was a bit disappointed because they were so small.  But they were the highlight and perfect size goodness. The problem was my hunger wasn't satiated! I debated going around the corner to get a poutine but thought against it and just stayed and enjoyed my catch up with my sis over a bottle of cava.
I intend to come back with a fuller stomach and try their mini pork bun and hot dog as  they seem to be their big ticket items.
 *** 1/2 stars
416 Snack Bar
181 Bathurst St. (at Queen St. W)
416-364-9320,  
416snackbar.wordpress.com. 
 416 Snack Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment