1.02.2010

New Year's dim sum

When everything else is closed on New Year's day, you can always rely on Chinese food to be open.  So Tracy and I decided to catch up on our new year's events over some local dim sum at Yonge and Eglinton.   For those of you who don't know what dim sum is - it is the name for Chinese afternoon tea and all the different dishes that come along side them and very similar to tapas.

We head to the Dim Sum Cha Liu (which translated is tea place) for some good eats.  For me, this place is the waspy over priced and upscale version of a dim sum restaurant catered specifically for the demographic in the area.  However it's one of the few restaurants that have my very favourite- pillowy and crispy taro croquettes on their menu and that makes me very happy.  They also serve things that would scare those that have never tried dim sum such as chicken feet and tripe (lining of the cow's intestines) but would be a regular order with me.
So I end up ordering the standard fare- haw gao (shrimp dumplings) and siu mai (ground pork and shrimp dumplings)  as well as chung fun - rolled rice noodle stuffed with beef and shrimp (2 separate orders), chai siu bao - a steamed bbq pork bun (a must have at my table), lo mai gao (deep fried turnip cake) and of course those delicacies above - As the food was coming out, dish by dish, she sat in disbelief because the plates kept coming out! 
Word of advice and I think many know this already but again- never let me order if you aren't hungry!
*** stars
Dim Sum Cha Liu -2352 Yonge Street (Yonge and Eglinton)
(416) 485-1725Hours:
Mon-Thu. 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Fri-Sat. 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Sun. 10:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
 Dim Sum for 2 - $50 with tip

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment